Monday, June 15, 2020

Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

Facebook

 I have already joined several library groups.  After going through the different feeds, I notice that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.  The advantages I found were many.  I found that using social media a librarian is an open forum to all that work in the field to seek help of find recommendations.  While visiting the different pages I saw questions I did not think to ask, but is relevant and information that I can use.  Librarians were sharing resources and ideas of activities that can be used in and out of the library.  I saw decorating ideas.  Many shareable links to pod casts and professional associations.  Many suggestions on how to motivate students at different age groups and different demographics.  Librarians were sharing accomplishments and seeking advice from seasoned libraries.  I saw feeds of authors’ podcasts and videos and D.I.Y. projects for maintaining current furniture.  Librarians were sharing books and their views on books.  They shared ideas on how to collaborate with local libraries for the different summer activities and reading programs.  The disadvantages were few, what I did see was that some pages are not exclusive to school libraries, which is not exactly a disadvantage, since we are able to learn from the public librarians.  I saw information that might be irrelevant.  I think however, that the biggest disadvantage is the lack of technology for our patrons, thus the information on social media is not accessible to all.  But in all, it is a positive experience. 

I did look up different library levels and found the following:

Elementary School Library pages, I found the feed that asks patrons to return books and provides the patrons with dates, times and place of locations of where to return the books.  I saw activities that students worked on while in the library.  I also saw a summer library schedule, which I’m not quite sure how that works, seeing as to how many libraries remain closed.  I saw students’ accomplishments, such as ranking for A/R classroom for most words read, the Royal Readers recognition, Top A/R readers recognition as well as Million-word readers recognition.  They also have announcements such as The End of the Year Parade and Author activities.

Middle School Library pages I found some similar posts as that of the elementary, such as book drop and curbside service.  I loved the clash of the covers reading list for the 2020-2021 school year, which is a preview of new books to come, where patrons can click on the link, which will take them to a trailer of the book as well as an annotated bibliography.  I saw announcements to promote the public library, which worked with the library to provide access to students with the summer reading.  I also saw announcements that promoted virtual readings with authors and provided the patrons with dates, times and link to access the reading.  I also saw a link to an author’s podcast.

High School Library pages were different than the Elementary and Middle School Library pages.  On the High School Library page, I saw announcements to their on-line library, which I didn’t see in the Elementary and Middle School libraries.  I saw recognition of the top 10 students and video stories of their high school seniors.  I saw an announcement to promote the summer library program at the public library.  I really loved the North Texas High School Virtual battle of the books video.  There was an announcement to promote a poetry contest.  The librarian was encouraging reading by sharing her current read and asking others to share theirs.  I saw book recommendations and Public Service Announcements, such as having students stay safe around water and for them to be cautious if a novice swimmer.


Twitter

Kathy Schrock @kathyschrock
Shared her Edtech web sites.  I loved how she found a solution to project an item from a portable tablet.  Kathy shared a Reynolds read-aloud.  She also shared tools for screen shots of web pages for Instagram, twitter, Facebook and Twitter, Pinterest and other social networking sites.  She also shared a summer passion project for students.  I loved how she shared thirty-one books that support conversation on race, racism and resistance.  For me what stood out the most was the solution to project from a portable tablet.  It even provides the steps necessary to project.  This is beneficial, with the uncertainty of this upcoming school year.

























Linda Braun @lbraun2000
Linda is a learning consultant, a teacher and a teen advocate.  Linda shared a website LEO.  LEO is a company that provides learning experiences tools to libraries.  Linda shared tweets from organizations, which she collaborates with to meet our youth's needs.  Linda shares updates from the School Library Journal and resources from YALSA.  She re-tweets often on webinars and on learning that affects our youth.  Based on her tweets I can see that she is passionate for our youth and wants leaders to cultivate an experience that has a positive effect on our youth.  What struck me the most was her sharing of her article.  The article she wrote is featured on American Library Association Website and discusses the difference between teen centered and teen driven services.  Below is the article.


Alan November @globalearner
Alan is the founder of November Learning and the author of Who Owns the Learning? Host of Building Learning Community conference.  I noticed that Mr. November tweets Ted talks, and states that facts are available with a click of a mouse.  I also noticed that his feed is mainly about learning and the continued learning of what one has learned.  He shares a podcast where he interviews Lainie Rowell and shares his complimentary webinars on creativity and transformation during the pandemic.  He shares ideas on distance learning.  In all his feeds all have to do with learning and creating the learning. The tweet that I liked the most was the one from Microsoft where one can learn ideas, tips and tricks for distance learning.


Gwyneth Jones @GwynethJones
Gwyneth Jones is a daring librarian.  She is a former member if the ISTE Board.  She shared her blog with us and her students, parents and her community.  Gwyneth Jones tweets about using social media to have your voices heard and to connect to others.  She tweets inspiration, public service announcements, and recognition of students and others.  She shares books she's read.  She tweets about technology tools that are educational and fun for students.  She has a virtual recess for students, where they can take a break and play Kahoot!.  The re-tweet that I like best is about the use of ten whiteboards to use for distant learning.

Jim Lerman @jimlerman
Jim Lerman is an architect of ideas an implementation.  He has tweets on the facial recognition technology and how some businesses are moving away from that.  He tweets about racial issues and resources on teaching and learning about protests.  He tweets about distance learning tools.  He tweets on resources for educators.  The tweet I like the best is from learningkeepsgoing.org


Instagram

Instagram could be used in a number of ways.  I’ve had an Instagram account for a while.  I follow Dave Ramsey, my daughter among other people.  I’ve never posted anything on Instagram and found it fairly easy to use.  I never thought of using Instagram for the library or the classroom, but after seeing the Prezi and from We Are Teachers “10 Surprising Ways to Use Instagram in the Classroom” I am able to see that we can use Instagram to share an image to prompt a writing piece.  Students are able to share videos or pictures to show their work.  We can use Instagram to promote the library or encourage reading.  We can use Instagram to acknowledge work and recognize achievements. We can showcase student work, feature students and go on scavenger hunts.  As the Prezi stated at the end “Brainstorm”, which is what we have to do to find ways to use Instagram in the educational setting. 

Still photo with Overgram:  Learning Mode!

Video:  Elementary School Library Decorating Ideas





1 comment:

  1. Hello, I agree with what you said about the advantages outweigh the disadvantages in using social media to promote the library program. Social media is a great platform to reach and connect with students, parents and the community. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete